Monday, August 4, 2008

Lemon Pasta, Potatoes and Cannellini: Adventures in Garlicky Goodness

This weekend I made penne with lemon, potatoes and cannellini. It turned out very well, though I made a few adjustments to the recipe:

I couldn't find vegetable bouillon, so I skipped that. Since I had several containers of low-sodium organic chicken broth on hand, I used some of that instead of the called-for vegetable broth. I probably also went a little nuts with the spinach. Lastly, I learned that "mince" isn't the same as "very finely chopped". My husband suggested that there shouldn't be discernable chunklets of garlic in this dish. I don't know that I agree with that. Love me, love me after I've eaten lots of tasty garlicky goodness, right? Right? Honey?

This was my first foray into the world of garlic sauteeing, and it really was fun. I stood over my pan of spiced olive oil, dumped in my painstakingly almost-minced garlic and felt fairly proud of my handiwork. That it had taken me a solid half hour to skin, chop, mince, de-bone, whatever three cloves of garlic didn't faze me. Stir. Gloat. Stir.

I've still got lots of spinach and about a pound of little golden potatoes left over. Eggs, feta, I'm looking at you. Come to me, omelette-y goodness.

No comments: